Graduating seniors pass the student government torch

Photo+by+Riley+Wolfram.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Riley Wolfram.

Photo by Riley Wolfram.

Photo by Riley Wolfram.

Photo by Riley Wolfram.

Posters for student government elections have taken over the hallways. As senior and student-body president Jhanvi Patel prepares to graduate, her successor junior Alex Colven prepares to take on her first student government position since her freshman year.

“The past two years, I’ve lost to Ben Anderson, and it’s just been us two running against each other,” Colven said. “I think it was hard because we have a similar group of friends, but this year, he’s running for senior [class] and I’m running for student body president because we both agreed that we should both have the opportunity to have a leadership role.”

The main priority of the student body president is to represent the school.

“I think that Hough has a lot of different talents with our students and we bring a lot to the table,” Patel said. “We’re good at sports, we’re good in academics, and we have lots of interesting parts about our school that a lot of schools in the area don’t have.”

In addition to student-body president, another integral role in student government is senior class secretary. Junior Kelly Costello ran in hopes of increasing school spirit.

“[As senior class secretary] I would participate in all, if not most of the school events to increase school spirit,” said Costello. “I definitely like to participate in that stuff and I think it’s a lot more fun if everyone else does too.”

Different from Colven, Costello’s first role in student government will be as senior class secretary next year, and because of this, she believes she will bring an “outsider perspective.”

“I think being outside of it for the past few years let me see the reactions from the student body, so next year I definitely can [provide input] from that perspective,” Costello said. “I think I could improve a lot of the stuff that goes on here.”

Costello campaigns using the angle that she has new and fresh ideas, but Colven campaigns using the angle that she has been in leadership since her freshman year, and has the most experience.

“I’ve been in leadership for three years,” Colven said. “All four years in high school I’ve been involved with planning stuff, and being a part of the student life has been super important to me.”

Patel said that although she is sad to be retiring as student-body president, she is excited because she knows she’s leaving the school in good hands.

“It’s important because next year is [our school’s] ten-year anniversary,” Patel said. “I think it’s important that we reflect on how we’ve been as a school thus far, but also look to where we could improve in the school and I hope that the student-body president next year really takes these things into consideration and is passionate about making this school a better place.”