Seniors finish up their last season of high school lacrosse

Photo+by+Autumn+Stewart.+Pictured+is+senior+Colby+Dugdale.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Autumn Stewart. Pictured is senior Colby Dugdale.

As the varsity women’s lacrosse season continues, the seniors are gradually approaching the end of their final season of high school lacrosse.

“So far this season has been bittersweet,” senior Falon Costigan said.

Five seniors have committed to Division I and II schools, and are excited to continue their academics and athletics in the fall.

“I’m excited to move on but I’m also going to miss my team and all of the experiences we’ve had [together],” Costigan said.

Costigan will play at the University of Akron in Ohio. She chose Akron to major in criminal intelligence analysis, and play her favorite sport at a higher level.

Caroline Monroe will play at Tusculum University in Greenville, Tennessee.

“When I walked on campus for the first time everything just clicked for me,” Monroe said. “It felt like home.”

She committed to Tusculum in her junior year. Monroe is most excited to challenge herself and see what lies ahead of her while playing at the collegiate level.

Erika Gonzalez will play at Winthrop University in Rock Hill. Like many of the other seniors, the reality of her final season of high school lacrosse is settling in.

“It’s crazy. Time really flies by,” Gonzalez said. “I’m proud to see how far the team has improved since the beginning. It’s really been a fun journey.”

Gonzalez said Winthrop has everything she wants in a college. From her major in exercise science to their lacrosse program and distance from home, she knew it was the perfect fit for her.

Camryn Marcey will play at Mars Hill University, where she will major in pre-med.

“I feel honored to be able to play for the team,” Marcey said. “Mars Hill just felt right when I was there.”

Colby Dugdale will play close to home at Queens University in Charlotte. Dugdale knew she loved the school ever since she was in third grade. Her father is the head coach of the swim team at Queens, and she just about grew up on the campus.

“I’m most excited to start a new chapter in my life and meet even more lifelong friends, and become a more all-around player,” Dugdale said.

The players have a close mentor right by their side. Coach Kortney Chinn has watched the girls grow as players and even coached a few of them outside of school.

“This is the first time since sixth grade that Coach Chinn isn’t my coach,” Dugdale said. “[I’ve had other] coaches before, but she has impacted me the most and helped me become a better player every day.”

Chinn played lacrosse and field hockey at Catawba College in 2008. She understands what it’s like for the girls to move on and play at the collegiate level.

“My advice to the girls would be to stay goal-oriented, [and] put in the work both in academics and athletics,” Chinn said. “But to also make sure [they] have fun and enjoy every moment because four years of college goes by extremely fast!”

As the season continues, the seniors are savoring their last few moments together with the team.

Senior night will be on April 24 at 6 p.m. against Mooresville at home.