HOSA students place top ten at state competition

Photo+by+Jillian+Grenn.+Pictured+are+junior+Nico+Nicotra%2C+junior+Sydney+Markovicks%2C+and+Kaitlyn+Roper.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Jillian Grenn. Pictured are junior Nico Nicotra, junior Sydney Markovicks, and Kaitlyn Roper.

Students in the HOSA club were very pleased with the results from their state competition March 6-9 at the Charlotte Convention Center.

Three students from Hough placed top 10 in their events. Senior Caitlin Dunn, placed fourth overall in Medical Terminology. For her event, she had to learn what medical terms mean from a list given. She then had to take a test to show the amount of information she had retained.

Freshman Finley Heller was another winner, placing fourth in her event, Medical Assisting. She had to study from a list of words, rehearse scenarios, and take a test. After she passed the test, she had to demonstrate the tasks that she learned while studying.

Sophomore Jillian Grenn was the third winner, placing seventh in her event, Clinical Specialty. She had to choose a medical career of her choice and write a nine-page portfolio, get mentored for eight hours from a medical professional in the field of her choice, and make a video to present to the judges.

HOSA, which stands for Health Occupations Students of America, is a club dedicated to educating students about the health field and careers. Students pick an event they are interested in competing in. Some events include veterinary science, biomedical debate, EMT, and anything in between. They will have to study for a test, perform basic procedures, or make a presentation based on what requirements the event asks for.

There were about 2,000 students from all over North Carolina and 17 attended from Hough.

Some schools travelled hours just to attend the competition.

“There were so many people at the convention center,” sophomore Thea Gundlach said. “It was amazing to see all of the students come together and learn about the medical field.”

In addition to competing, students had the opportunity to learn more about the medical field through classes offered at the competition. One class in particular that most students enjoyed was a “Stop the Bleeding” seminar led by health professionals. It taught students how to use pressure and medical tools to save a person from serious blood loss.

This school year was the first time in three years that Hough participated in the competition.

“We all worked really well as a team and based on the little experience we had, I think we did amazing for our first year together,” Gundlach said.

Throughout the whole competition, the team members became closer friends and could relate to each other about many topics. As the last day approached, the team already had a plan set for next year to go back and win, to qualify nationals.  

“I think it was definitely really good for our first year, especially with everything we had to go through,” junior and Vice President of HOSA Azriela Paras said. “Not only preparing for the events but also organizing for the trip.”