New custodian brightens the day for students

Photo+by+Adam+Bennett.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Adam Bennett.

Photo by Adam Bennett.

Photo by Adam Bennett.

Photo by Adam Bennett.

A new feature of the lunch room has caught the eyes of students. Head custodian Walter Kennedy created a slideshow displayed on the televisions in the cafeteria. The slide show consists of quotes that famous athletes, coaches, authors, and celebrities have said. The clips run all day to help encourage students to strive for greatness and follow their dreams.

“I’m a hard worker and motivator to make sure the students enjoy the school as much as possible,”  Kennedy said.

Throughout the years of working in schools with students, Kennedy makes sure he does the very most for his students. Kennedy lead the school to earn an almost perfect sanitation score of 100. However, girls threw paper towels in the bathroom which made Hough fall short of the perfect score. This year, Kennedy scored the highest sanitation rating for the school since the opening in 2010.

Kennedy spends countless hours working for students. He has put in 500-600 work orders since he has started. Kennedy also spends his weekends at the school spraying down the bathrooms, sweeping the floors, and even cleaning mud from the floor for the students who walk from Bailey Road Park to make sure the school is clean by the time students get back.

“I love to keep the school clean for the students to make [it] a great learning environment,” Kennedy said.

He has had 11 years of experience being a head custodian. He has worked at Independence, Hopewell, and Bradley Middle School before he came to Hough. Kennedy met Principal Dr. Laura Rosenbach at Bradley Middle School and followed her to Hough to get the head custodian job.

Kennedy spent 22 years in New York working as a school superintendent. He then decided to retire and become a head custodian.

“I love to see people happy, and I think that motivates me to do my job and do it well,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy also has an athletic past as well. He played football and basketball and earned a scholarship to play basketball at Hartwick College in New York.

“Playing basketball taught me how to be a leader on and off the court, and that is a very important trait for someone to have,” Kennedy said. “You think Stephen Curry can shoot? You should see me on the court.”